Topic: Cupcake, Alcoholic, Hens, Bachelorette, Baking, Party
Rolling into the Christmas Party season, with everyone praying for a White Christmas, I thought this little stunner might be a great addition to the festivities.
This is a variation on the White Russian, the famous cocktail which was named at the end of World War 1 after the anti-Bolshevik group,of the same name, so called because they stood against the ‘Reds’ which were the communists. The drink got its name because of its main ingredients Kahlua (for the White) and Vodka (for the Russians). However, vodka is one of those flavours that just doesn’t work well in cake, so this recipe does not call for any. Instead we have the creamy white coming from the white chocolate and sour cream, and the dark coffee flavouring of the Tia Maria, to give us the White Maria.
- 110g unsalted butter
- 110g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 110g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp Tia Maria
- 55g white chocolate
- 110ml sour cream
- 3 tsp Tia Maria
- 225g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C/Gas4 and line a baking tray with paper cases
- In a large mixer cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- While still mixing add eggs one at a time.
- Sift in flour and baking powder slowly.
- Mix in Tia Maria
- Spoon into paper cases and bake for 20 min
- Leave to cool
- For the icing: melt the chocolate. Add the sour cream and Tia Maria
- Mix in icing sugar
- Allow to cool so that it gets tacky. Spread over cupcakes